Muhammad Ali’s mouth was as fast as his fists – here’s 10 of his best lines as the world remembers a legend.
1.“I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale, handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I’m so mean I make medicine sick.” – Ali before the ‘Rumble in the Jungle’ with George Foreman in Zaire 1974.
2. “I am so fast that last night I turned off the light switch and was in bed before the room was dark.”
3. “If you even dream of beating me, you better wake up and apologize.”
4. “I’m the best. I just haven’t played yet.” — Ali talking about playing golf.
5. “If you sign to fight me, you need speed and endurance but what you need most is to increase your insurance.”
6. “Frazier is so ugly that when he cries, the tears turn around and go down the back of his head.”
7. “I’ve seen George Foreman shadow boxing. And the shadow won.”
8. “He’s (Sonny Liston) too ugly to be the world champ. The world champ should be pretty like me!”
9. (Responding to sports journalist Howard Cosell) “And you’re always talking about, ‘Muhammad, you’re not the same man you were ten years ago.’ Well, I asked your wife, and she told me you’re not the same man you was two years ago!”
10. “My toughest fight was with my first wife.”